Monday 31 August 2009

Week 7 - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

As I sat down to tap out my latest update Daft Punk came on the radio and I couldn't think of a better title for this week's post. It's been another good week only slightly hampered by those ongoing pesky blisters.

The particular highlight was my first 4 mile run of the week. My flatmate joined me for only the second time since I began my training. The first time was about a month ago where he pulled me round Battersea Park and made me work hard. Fastforward to last Tuesday and it was a different story. Not only had we knocked off 4 minutes from our previous jaunt I was the one dragging him around. Admittedly he has done very little, if any, running between our outings but it still felt good to hear him cursing under his breath, constantly asking how far we had left to go and out-sprinting him to the finish line.

Obviously not to be outdone by a girl he joined me again for a mid week six miler and was back on form although we were pretty evenly matched and maintained the 9 minute mile pace of a couple of days before. The fourth mile was tough as the blister on my right foot reminded me it was still around. By the time I got home it was a bit of a mess, so much so that I had to abandon the third run of the week less than a mile in. I walked for a couple of miles but decided to rest up ahead of the long one.

I'm still wedded to Richmond Park for the longer runs and with temperatures forecast to hit 26 degrees I got up early to avoid the real heat. Luckily at 8am is was overcast, slightly drizzly with a nice cool breeze. Needing to work off the mahoosive plate of pasta from the night before I decided to aim for 14 miles this week. The schedule calls for only 12 but having missed a few of the mid week runs and with a holiday on the way I just wanted to bank that extra couple whilst I still have the enthusiam and strength. It was a bit quieter than the last two Sundays and as I settled into the first mile the blisters weren't feeling too bad. I was really positive about doing the whole 14 miles and no part of me seemed to disagree at any point which made for the easiest and most enjoyable long run so far.

I actually felt strong right up until the final mile... which seemed to go on forever. The multitude of hot topless men striding around the park helped to keep my spirits up as well. Ha! To date I've only braved a smile and nod or maybe a quick hello but think I am going to aim for the odd high five before training is out. So I felt pretty good when I finished and without the addition of a Bodypump session I was far far less achey than the week before. The blisters coninue to grow and i'm really going to have to look into maybe a new pair of trainers (definitely time anyways) as well as some better preventitive measures.

The stick continues to work wonders, I haven't yet tired of the Raspberry flavoured Lucozade Sport, I'm taking Glucosamine Sulphate tablets, drinking bucket loads of water and trying to eat more healthily. Did I mention I've lost 7lbs... 'bout frigging time. Hoorah!

The Medium Run
Distance: 6.54 miles
Time: 59minutes and 49 seconds
Average Pace: 9minutes and 9seconds per mile
Calories burnt: 725
Lessons learned: Boys will only let you beat them once in their lifetime

No comments: