Sunday 31 May 2009

Progress

Three weeks into the start of my marathon training and progress is definitely being made. A series of small achievements culminated to make this morning's 'run' pretty chuffing good. Firstly, I actually overtook another runner today. Up until this point I've just about managed to outpace a few ambling walkers but mostly been eating the dust of every other runner I've encountered out and about. This particular individual was probably having a really bad day or harbouring some kind of major injury but the satisfaction of closing the gap, passing and then carrying on my merry way gave me encouragement.

The second little milestone was that I didn't look at my watch once during my outing today. During these first few weeks I've been aiming to gradually increase my time pounding the pavements and so have been furiously clock watching willing every second to tick by before I can stop, collapsing in a sweaty heap. Today I picked a starting point, chose a route I thought would be about the right distance and then just ran. I'm finally getting into a bit of a rhythm. During the first weeks I felt awkward, slow, out of puff, in pain and stiff but having consulted friends and the internet I realised that this is quite normal and that if I just persevered then things would get better. Well they have and by the time I reached my chosen 'finish line' the clock informed me I'd run continuously, without slowing to a walk or wishing seconds didn't feel like hours, for 31 minutes and 52 seconds. Result. No idea how far I went, probably about 800 metres but I'm not going to worry about that yet. That's over 10 minutes more spent non stop jogging than I've managed on any other outing.

I could have carried on but wanted to end on a high (and preferably without the need of paramedic assistance) so I stopped where I told myself I would. Then came the happy happy time. I broke into a grin and it didn't subside for a good five minutes. I had actually enjoyed myself and felt like I could do it all again tomorrow... which is just a well because I do, and at least four times a week for the next five and a half months. I know it sounds ridiculous... it was only 31 minutes and 52 seconds but I think that might be the longest period of time I've jogged continuously in my entire life. And it felt great.

2 comments:

mder1980 said...

Bloody well done. getting through the first couple of weeks is crap.

I just ran again for the 1st time since London. Ow. God I am unfit.

got here from Charlton's FB post btw.

ZimZala said...

Thanks.

Any tips or suggested Cornish running routes gratefully received.