Wednesday 14 October 2009

Week 13 - The Breakfast Run


By the time the first outing of Week 13 came around the running blues were firmly behind me. Even torrential rain couldn't put me off my mid week 5 miler and dodging the puddles and central London traffic splashback was both entertaining and a refreshing change from the outings in the milder weather. I managed to shake off my sore right hip and achey left knee after a couple of miles and surprised myself with a speedy sprint section past the Peace Pagoda in Battersea Park on the home straight. I'm almost certain this is the fittest I've ever been.

Week 13 is the last of the BIG weeks and Sunday's 16 miler was the final hurdle before I officially entered the taper period. Brilliant. Very early on after deciding to train for the marathon I signed up to the Kingston Breakfast Run on 11 October. At the time is seemed so far away and the thought of running even 6 miles, let alone 16, brought me out in a cold sweat. Who would have thought that less than four months later I would be viewing a 16 mile run as middle distance!!!

With the exception of the three early summer 5k fun runs, which I did before my training programme proper even started, I haven't entered a single race. All of my training has been done alone or with one or two other people. The multitude of logistical complications that come with running an organised route alongside 41,999 other people haven't really crossed my mind up until now but three weeks before New York seemed like a pretty good time to try distance running in a pack. How would I handle the intial jostle over the start line, would I manage to negotiate the water stations with any success and how would I cope with having to turn up on time?!?

I didn't exactly spring out of bed when the 5.45 alarm call went off and as I ushered my two running buddies into the car the drizzle began. Navigting my way around Kingston Town and to the start line tested my mental agility pre 7am. The 16 mile (mainly flat) route involved two laps around the town centre, along the tow path by the river and on the surrounding roads. Huddling in a shop doorway sheltering from the drizzle I didn't feel much like a committed runner as all the seasoned pros (and lets be honest who else would turn up pre 8am on a cold wet Sunday to run 16 miles around... Kingston) did a very lively warm up lap around the block or strutted around in their de rigueur bin bags, keeping out the wind and rain. An event photographer commented that we looked like rather unwilling participants and when I mentioned we were running a marathon in three weeks time he looked visibly shocked - a now familiar reaction. The gun went off and so we left safety of the doorway and crossed the mat to activate our timing chip.


Bos was serious and had started up front (elbows out) so I knew I wouldn't see her until the finish line but M and I had settled for a more leisurely back of the pack position. My aim was to get round in just under 2hours 40 minutes (10 minute miles). The gang mentality at the start line swept me up and I immediately knew I'd set off fast so I wasn't surprised when my first mile came in well under 9 minutes, but what I was concerned about was running out of steam too early on. The second and third miles I slowed off a bit and felt more comfortable as the other runners really helped to keep my rhythm. After about the 5 mile mark I was still feeling strong and so I began to overtake a few of the people in front of me.

I crossed the half way stage in just under an hour and a quarter and felt confident I could achieve a little bit faster than my original target. After taking an Ibuprofen fix, chewing on a Dextrose energy tablet (my preferred alternative to Jelly Babies) and mastering a gel on the go I settled into the final six miles in a positive frame of mind. Waiting until the sixteenth mile before activating the turbo booster I sprung over the finishing line with a massive grin on my face in under two and half hours. Despite the early morning start and foul weather, once the race was underway I enjoyed myself a lot and began to imagine how amazing the atmosphere on Nov 1 is going to be. Up until now I haven't really thought about the actual day itself in too much detail but my mind is beginning to wander... and it's exciting.

So the last long run is done and dusted and I'm officially entering into the taper phase. Over the next three weeks I decrease the mileage to fine tune my body ahead of the big day. The long runs have enabled me to experiment with drinks and gels and to practice focusing the mind on the task in hand. I'm raring to go and worried that the taper phase is going to have a negative impact on my fitness and make me feel sluggish but all my research reassures me these fears are both natural but also unfounded.

The Race Stats:

Distance = 16 miles
Time = 2 hours 27 minutes and 30 seconds
Average Pace = 9 minutes and 13 seconds per mile
Booty = One medal, lots of Lucozade Sport and some grim Power bar thingy
PLUS The Glory

Lessons Learned:

Don't get stuck in a running rhythm anywhere near a heavy breather - they are freaky and annoying
Running harder hurts more but I can do it and I need to stop being lazy
Stretching and obsessive use of The Stick go a LONG way to post race recovery
Carbohydrates come in forms other than pasta - I need to find out what other forms and start consuming them because mixing up the shapes isn't making it any more interesting

No comments: